Monday, September 5, 2011

Just Reading, 'Riting and 'Rithmetic (?), this week...

This week was dedicated to being home and reading my books. 
One of the books and the map

I really “got into helping” Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache through his emotional recovery from a catastrophic case and a murder in Quebec City where he was trying to recoperate  with the distraction of research on the battle fought at the Plains of Abraham.  I got my tourist map out of the old City of Quebec and followed the Inspector and his dog, Henri, around the old city to find clues and experience the winter weather in the province of Quebec.  This has been a wonderful way to learn a little history and culture of Quebec.  More than once, I went to the map and/or, better yet, the computer to learn a little more about the historic heroes and places that have shaped Quebec into the culture that exists today.  A perfect read for being in the province of Quebec.


The proof of new woodblock
and woodblock
















I cut a new woodblock and also tried to plan out a layout to structure a larger piece with my smaller pieces.  The new wood cut turned out pretty well.

























As you can see, on my effort for my larger piece , I had trouble with the plate moving when hand pressing the monotype plate (I don’t expect anyone but printmakers to understand this last sentence, so if you don’t understand, don’t despair.) I’m hoping that I will solve this problem with a real press at Circulaire, if I can confirm a reservation for a press there on Sept. 16.


The big event for Canada this week was the conversion from analog to HDtv nationwide.  Since there is a new HD TV here in the condo, all I had to do was reset the tv on Sept. 1 (conversion day).  All the analog stations disappeared and the HD stations are coming in clear and crisp with occasional digital squares appearing on the screen since we are on an antenna rather than cable.  I also found the “caption” button on the remote, now we watch the French language stations captioned in French. For some reason, we can understand what’s being said and what’s happening in a movie or program with the captions.  So, instead of studying our notes from class, we just watch French movies and feel like we are studying for class.


Looking east on Mont Royal
Olympic Tower and Stade roof in background
This was a long  Labor Day weekend and we discover av. du Mont Royal is ending the summer season with the street fair that began the summer season. 



To fill space for this week, I thought I’d show how we’ve been getting to our French class (for the last time) – the bus and bus stops…
John waits at
Sherbrooke Est et av. De Lorimier

On the bus...
 
John waiting at
Sherbrooke Oest et St. Urbain after class
Here is our bus...#24

A major bus stop at a Metro Station
Sherbrooke Station
______________________________________________________


Well, this has been week 14 – John continues write and rewrite chapters of his book on the computer, read his newspapers on his Kindle and goes to the gym.  I'd say, our lives here in Montreal have settled in – maybe it’s that we are getting ready to move on to the next part of our big adventure…Argentina in just 4 weeks!

But, wait, there still are things that we need and want to do before we leave, we’d better start scheduling these things, we only have 4 weeks left here (these last 3 months have just flown by.)

_________________________ 

Next week – we plan out our last weeks here in Quebec…

No comments:

Post a Comment