Monday, August 22, 2011

Week 12: Evelyn shows me her Montreal...







It’s  Wednesday - a beautiful day to be out – sunny and hot, but not too humid. Evelyn Klein, good friend and one of my art teachers, is visiting her daughter and friends in Montreal.  I meet Evelyn on the corner of S.t Laurent and St. Paul at La Guilde Graphique in Vieux Port.

Evelyn at her old work station
La Guilde Graphique is the studio where Evelyn worked with some of the best printmakers in Montreal (she being included as one of the best, of course).  We went upstairs to the studio where I’m shown Evelyn’s workspace and the presses that were bought from France. 

The press from France - the French Press


Since she was brave enough to drive a car, we go to St. Laurent where Evelyn relives her work days at a studio (that isn’t there anymore) on St. Laurent. 


 
The Famous Swartz's - line is too long for us
We go somewhere else...

Meat markets, sandwich shops, cheese shops and cafes are favorite places to be seen. 
Lots has changed, but where we finally eat is exactly as it was 10 years ago – smoked meat sandwiches are delicious.






"MMM, tastes just like I remembered..."

From there we go to Atelier Circulaire, another studio where Evelyn did a lot of work. 
Wah Wing Chan
(Facebook profile pic...)

Wing Chan is there to show us around before he has to help sell paper that the studio sells to the “public”. I am looking for paper, so I will go back there next Wed. when the “store” is open again.  
Wing knows who I am because he’s seen me on Facebook from Robynn’s page.  Small world.  He is also a good friend of Louise and Ron’s.








Ian's "Library"
The rest of the week is as always. For John, reading, writing and working out; For me, finding new books to read (I’m finding Ian’s library is a good resource for Canadian authors) and trying out another print technique I can do in the kitchen. 



Obazawa Horsetail
(trace monotype)



















Walks to the grocery store and up to Mount Royal for the bank and produce and the butcher (Maison Roti).  We try once again to get a library card and are told to bring a receipt with our name and the address where we are living (not a personal letter envelope.) I’m hoping my Amazon receipt will work when I try again.



We have a new teacher for the last 3 weeks of French class.  Proffeseur Ben and family went to Algeria to be with his mother for Ramadan.  Alexander is our new teacher, a linguistics student.  A whole new approach to learning French, but still very fun.
________________________

Next week: Library card and paper buying...

No comments:

Post a Comment