Sunday, October 10, 2021

Week 6. . . ???

 Week 6 in Europe, Week 5 in Italy...

Sunday, Oct. 3

Bistecca alla Fiorentina
We just rest and recoop.

We order take away from Omero. . .Bistecca alla Fiorentina, spinach and marinated artichokes/mixed veggies (I bake some potatoes)

There's the bone and enough meat left over so I can make vegetable beef soup.


At 10 pm Florence time, I zoom with the #1 Ladies with a lively discussion about Gloria Steinem and her book "Life on the Road." I just found the book in the online library, so I have only read the Intro and chapter 1. 


Monday, Oct. 4

It looks like rain, the weather app says thunder and rain off and on. We stay in and go over documents the Trust attorney sent.

I read "Life on the Road" because I don't want to get caught in a rain storm. 

We have soup
Vegetable beef from the bone
and left overs from last night.















Tuesday, Oct. 5

Prem, the housekeeper is here.  

We get on the bus to town after she leaves.

Window shopping for Christmas gifts?




Italian leather for Dave and Anthony?



Donald Avery, when did you start designing perfume?


A little more window shopping, stop at the grocery, 
then take the bus home.






Wednesday, Oct. 6

It's a beautiful day, we walk to Porta Romana for errands.
The cobbled sidewalks are very hard on my joints - especially walking down hill...




Leaving Porta Romana
to go home...
on the bus!


Thursday, Oct. 7 - we go to the Accademia Galleria

Today we visit David...and also see the beautiful musical instruments of Stradivarius.



The Medicis playing music with 
their Stradivarius instruments




The inside of one of the first pianos made

The upright piano



















Now we see the fabulous DAVID!

A closer look


and now a walk around





I found these "unfinished" sculptures fascinating...


St. Matthew







Pieta



Walking through the old city
the Duomo is always impressive


On the way home, we stop for refreshement...

Chestnuts roasting...

Rivoire for cake, latte and the chestnuts



It's very cold today, so on the way back home, 
we stop at the glove shop and John buys
me some gloves I've been looking at.

Now I'm ready for weather


Friday, Oct. 8

A stay at home day...

Silvia and Giancarlo are going to stop by with a potential renter in the early afternoon.

I start my watercolor  - A look out at Galileo's back yard



Very rough, just beginning.




Saturday, Oct. 9

 A day of exploring...


Walking down to the old city, we see lots of surprising growth - 
also it's chilly, so we are wearing our scarves today.


On one of our ventures out exploring, we came across a Flea Market at the Piazza Ciompe, there was a table with watches, bracelets, etc. at a very reasonable price.  We go to look for it again with no luck.  A whole different group of venders - much more upscale. There's nothing we want to buy right now.

We walk toward the Duomo (it seems our reference point when we venture to the outer edges of the old city) in search of a place for an afternoon snack.  We find a place a block from the Duomo - an enclosed entry way to a larger kitchen/restaurant with 4-5 tables looking out to the street. Out of the cold street, but being able to look out, we order a pizza and prosecco.  Was cold, so I didn't get a chance to take out my phone to photograph.  We'll have to go back.

On our way to Porta Romana - we walk through the Uffizi Piazza to take a photo of St. Anthony, our sainted grandson, just to remind him of who he is.

On the way to the bus stop, we stop at Carrefour to stock up on a couple of necessities.

I take a photo of our bus and get on.

While on the bus, I discover my phone is not in my pocket - it must have fallen into the street when I got on the bus, because it's not on the bus either. We stay on the bus to go back to Porta Romana to see if it's there.

I look in the bus again before we get off, look all over the area to see if it's been put up on the wall, on the curb at the bus bench.  John goes to Carrefour to check there.  When he comes back, we ask a lady if she's seen a phone, she says to go to the police station - takes us to the barber to find out where the police station is and/if someone left the phone there.  No, but he tells us where the police station is.  I decide to wait until tomorrow to go to the police station.  We taxi home (no more buses to our house for the day) and I go to my computer to see if there's a phone # for the police station.  There is an email from our land lords that the Bar d'Angolo called them and the phone is there to be picked up. John walks down to pick it up and comes home in about an hour and a half with the phone!

Bar d'Angolo on the right
(the barber is on the left)
We were so close!

We will have to buy a lot of drinks at Bar dell'Angelo from now on!

---

So ends another adventurous week with Susie & John.

Who knows what holds for next week?

3 comments:

  1. I lost my phone in Paris. Had left it on the table in a Cafe for Parisians where they had already decided I was a flakey American.

    Where have you found the best prosecco?

    Thank you for sharing your travels...and the pictures. I was in Florence during college 1972. The David is still magnificent. How do sculptors discover what is inside the rock...make hard rock appear soft?

    P.S. I loved/related to you story of the trains and wrong directions and getting of at the almost right stop.

    Karen (and Allan)

    P.S. Your pomegranates are getting red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love your photos and commentary. St. Anthony--whom you photographed at the Uffizi Piazza-- is the patron of lost things and recovering them!! Guess that's what happened when your phone was returned. Enjoy that bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, we are going to see Anthony in Sierra Madre in two days! Can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete