Monday, November 21, 2011

Week 7 in Baires...

Jacarandas in Bloom



We are getting into a rut.  Sunday walks, Monday blog and writing/revising, laundry, groceries, Tuesday other errands and writing/revising, Wednesday, Thursday the same, Friday we clean up for evening Tango lesson, Saturday figure out where we want to do our Sunday walk...

Av 9 de Julio












At the end of last week's walk, I noticed lavendar petals on the walk ways, but didn't really bother to look up because I was tired and achy from what John calls "the forced march" to places of BA that we know not where beacuase we were soooo lost (we actually do, but that was after the fact.)  On our errands during the week, I notice the petals again, but look up and realize the Jacaranda are in bloom - it's fragrance softens the warm, humid air and adds a lovely ambiance to the busy, frantic pace of Av. 9 de Julio and Av. Lavalle. 

______________________


My big purchase...

TANGO Shoes!!!


My best Tango pose
Since starting our Tango lessons, my flats just were just not adequate for my advancement in technique, so on one of our forays I search for a Tango shoe store near the Obelisco.  My feet are short and wide, difficult to fit, especially shoes with high heels.  The store owner was very helpful, spoke English and found a couple of shoes that fit me well, so I allowed John to buy me these conservative and comfortable Tango shoes.  I must say, I did pretty well in these dancing shoes and felt very Tanguera.












__________________________

This Sunday, we try again to walk to San Telmo to see the Feria de San Telmo.  This time I take a map, so I will know if we are lost...
The Feria is quite something - far larger than we expected and the quality of product was impressive.  Centered in the Plaza Dorrego, the feria extends out on Av. Defensa for blocks. 

Feria de San Telmo
Av Defensa


Antiques, memorabilia and specialty leather items are in the Plaza and vendors with quality goods and art are laid out on the street. Shops around the plaza and along Av Defensa have more clothing, shoes and antiques. Cafes are located around the plaza and along the street with Tango demonstrations in between cafe tables and street vendors. 

Antiques
Gaucho Goodies













Antique Store
Tango in the Street
Street Cafes Abound


On our way back home we stopped at a Tapas bar - Rosa de los Vientos - for tapas and beer...


Tapas and Cerveza
Rosa de los Viento


Good food, good beer and good service, can't ask for anything better than that!

_______________________________



A Room with a View

So ends another week in an interesting and surprising Buenos Aires...





No comments:

Post a Comment