Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 8: My Get-away to NYC...

Leaving Montreal


Blue sleeve - Garrison K.
On Monday, July 18, I get the bus with backpack and travel bag/purse to the Amtrak station - Montreal to NYC, an 11 hour ride (1 hour for customs) “the Adirondack.” I meet 3 interesting women; my seatmate is a GA teacher who was on  the Prairie Home Companion cruise; 2 women from VA and MD had been on a retreat outside of Montreal ( I had a 1.5 hour lunch/discussion with one in the “café”)  Garrison Kellior sat 4 rows in front of me – see picture – I recognized him, for sure, by his red shoes.
Adirondacks???




Arriving in NYC, I got a little lost going downtown instead of uptown on subway, after changing directions, I come out of the subway at Lincoln Center, then walk east instead of west one block, call Cynthia to figure out where I am. She guides me better than a GPS so I get there safe and sound.



The next morning, Kathy and Cynthia have the day planned so we walk through the Park for the Frick to see Bellini’s newly cleaned  St. Francis of Assisi.  Beautiful and glowing, St Francis never looked better. We then lunch at home, nap, touch base with our computers, and in the evening, to get out of the heat, we see a movie with Adrienne – Horrible Bosses. 
Bellini's St. Francis of Assisi

At the Frick, Cynthia & Katherine



Self-portrait in the Park
Wednesday, another walk through Central Park, takes us to the Met – the Alexander McQueen exhibit- FABULOUS!  Lunch at the members’ café with Kathy, then shopping on Broadway. 
Savage Beauty - Alexander McQueen
Fabulous!!!













Lush Landscape

In the cooling air of the early evening, we stop for hamburgers at a bistro/pub near the High Line. We appreciate the wonderful breezy walk on the new part of the High Line.  All the plants have really lushed out since being there last, two years ago.  Water features entertain the families with children and bird houses mimic the background of the city.  This park is really a clever and innovative use of the history of the city.
Bird Houses mimic NY Skyline
High Line pond play
 










My last full day is spent finishing my shopping list – Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.  It’s sooooo hot, Kathy and I take advantage of her membership at the Reebok Sports Club. WOW, very nice “gym” – wonderful pool, fabulous workout area, generous and luxury locker rooms.

Happy Adrienne in Astoria
Even tho it’s horrendously hot and humid, we drive out to Queens for a Cowboy concert in Astoria under the bridges by the water. The best part of going there is meeting Cynthia’s friends Sonya and John who live in a palatial corner apartment/condo across the street from the park with A.C.!  After the concert, we buy Greek food to take home for late dinner -  Mousaka, pastitsio & Greek salad, yum.




My Last View of NYC from Apartment 18A
The next morning, Friday, I‘ve pack up for 7:00 departure from apt. for Penn Station/Amtak departure at 8:15 (time to get subway pass, ride the subway, to get lost in Penn Station – I do not get lost so I have plenty of time for check-in).  The train ride back to Montreal is just as beautiful and lovely as the ride down – thanks to the efficient A.C. on the train.  Between the scenery, my Kindle and seatmate, Eric, the 12 hours go by swiftly and I arrive home by 9:30 pm to John who looks rested and seems happy to see me.

John and I quickly settle into our Saturday routine – up at 8 for the bus to Second Cup for breakfast snack before our 10:00 French class, then home for a nap for me and work out for John.  In the evening, we’ve gotten an invitation to a Cirque du Soleil event in the Old Port for the Safewalls Pop-Up Shop in the Tapis Rouge.  It’s an exhibit of Cirque posters and souvenirs while artists create a mural of cirque images with videos of the artists, music, food and drink – quite a party atmosphere.  We walked around the old port for a while, then walk up the street to find ourselves walking through Chinatown and then the Nuit Afrique Festival – music is heard for blocks with African Folk art fair along the city square. We find a quiet hotel bar outside of the hustle and bustle of the night for nachos, drinks and quiet conversation.  Nice date night.
Safewall mural painting...
Vieux Port a Nuit











Sunday is dedicated to groceries, laundry and late evening walk in Parc LaFontaine  – back to the routine of daily living.



Next week: Wednesday, Cirque du Soleil to look forward to. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Susita Bonita! I envy your wonderful adventure in NYC! Can't wait to hear about Cirque du Soleil. Hope John is going to find time for research in between all the exciting activities you both are involved in!

    ReplyDelete