Thursday, June 23, 2011

PreTakeOff Activities

The Kindle Offer…

   Not wanting to carry around heavy books on this Sabbatical Year, John wanted to purchase a Kindle.  After a lot of research, he did find that the Kindle (not the iPad, Nook or SonyReader) was the right size, weight, reading screen and had the kind of books he needed for his research.
   So about a month before we were to leave for our trip, he proceeds to order his Kindle, a cover and all the attachments needed for our extended travels.
   A few days later, I come home from my errands and there is a pile of packages and envelopes at our apartment door.  I add them to my grocery bags and carry them into the apartment and hand them over to John, who didn’t hear UPS ring the doorbell. “Wow,” he says, “That seems like a lot of packages for one Kindle.”
   Upon opening the packages, there are: two Kindles, two chargers, two different kinds of covers, and an adapter for the charger(s).  Lots of directions, receipts, paper, padded envelopes, boxes and fillers contribute to the confusion of it all.  After a phone call, as to whether some of it can be returned, John proceeds to find the return forms, then he copies the correct receipts, he prints/copies it all out, and packages it all up for mailing. Then he asks me, “Do you want this extra Kindle and cover?”  I say, “How much do I have to pay you, or will you give it to me for my birthday?”  He says, “About $140.00 - I wasn’t planning on spending that much money on your birthday present.” So I say, “Let me think about it, I will pay you for ½ if I decide I want it.  I’ll let you know before you leave for work tomorrow.”
    Of course, the next morning, I say, “Yes, I want the Kindle” and he says, “Happy Birthday.” (He didn't really want me to pay for it, after all.)  And that’s how I accidentally got the Kindle for my birthday.

More PreTakeOff Activies to come sporatically...

1 comment:

  1. this sounds like something i would do. i'm not sure about this blog of yours after all. :) and i KNEW i blew it on your birthday! i'm going to call you guys this weekend.

    ReplyDelete